1. One of the disturbing aspects to me about the Kavanaugh hearings has been the argument by certain Senators that the left is trying to take something away from him that he “deserves”
2. He does not have the post he, so how can he lose what he doesn’t already have? I’ve been reading Jill Lepore’s “These Truths” and it’s amazing to see how the question of “deserving” had been present from the moment Europeans landed in the Americas.
3. The conquistadors told indigenous people: either you accept Christianity is what’s up, or we will enslave you. That’s why they “deserved” their land
4. On this note @LatinoUSA is about to release an interview with Justice Sotomayor in which she recounts how at a recruiting dinner for a law firm, a partner asked her whether t was fair for a firm to hire someone like her if they were not qualified to fill quotas
5. The implication here is that a person of color, a woman, does not “deserve” a position based on identity. This man didn’t know that Sotomayor received the highest award possible at Princeton. She successfully filed a complaint against this firm.
6 (and final). No one “deserves” something on the basis of who they are or even what school they went to. Sotomayor is on the bench because she went through the same process Kavanaugh is undergoing now and she was determined fit for the position.
I probably didn’t need to bring the conquistadors into this one. This book has just got my mind reeling and it’s been a long week