Happy #DictionaryDay! In honor of birthday boy Noah Webster, we’re going to take on a probably large, probably ill-advised endeavor.
For every one (1) like of this post, we’ll give you one (1) obscure, unusual, or just fairly interesting word.
Oh wow, we're already up to 200. Well. Better get started.
1. 'Absquatulate' - to decamp, abscond https://t.co/4I8I75z37Q
2. 'Deipnosophist' - a person skilled in table talk https://t.co/2A7m7YferP
3. 'Carphology' - plucking at bed covershttps://t.co/bOyVBPYP8j
4. 'Hwyl' - excitement https://t.co/fFaQSj6mVZ
Feeling this one tbh.
5. 'Planet-stricken' - panic-stricken https://t.co/0OmGqBZFGm
6. 'Kibe' - heelhttps://t.co/yEp6fNrwwz
7. 'Alexithymia' - inability to identify and express or describe one’s feelingshttps://t.co/0NZhCODgfq
8. 'Borborygmus' - belly rumblinghttps://t.co/dNMzdkqlMY
9. 'Degust' - tastehttps://t.co/bqxbn4rVVE
10. 'Dipylon' - distinctive of an elaborate stage of ancient Greek pottery making and decorating in the geometric style marked by pictures of funeralshttps://t.co/feOyuM1hfT
11. 'Swillbowl' - drunkard https://t.co/M0ItQ2G3G2
12. 'Proctalgia' - rectal painhttps://t.co/Kobi2J21kB
As always, feel free to mute.
Okay, back to it.
13. 'Heroicomic' - comic by being ludicrously noble, bold, or elevated https://t.co/Uydxfx1uCI
14. 'Ergophobia' - a fear of or aversion to workhttps://t.co/uExXmNPl30
15. 'Astragalomancy' - divination by means of small bones or dicehttps://t.co/YtBKnJRupn
16. 'Daredevil' (adj.) - recklessly and often ostentatiously daringhttps://t.co/s0Lf6PSV2e
17. 'Psychrophilic' - thriving at a relatively low temperaturehttps://t.co/8Z5KkgVw58
18. 'Miscalculation' - a mistake in calculation : wrong calculationhttps://t.co/KIYeAvbV3U
19. 'Ijolite' - a granular igneous rock consisting chiefly of nephelite and augite https://t.co/AECRyE9xe2
20. 'Layback' - a combination of a receding nose and undershot jaw in certain animals (as a bulldog)https://t.co/LQETE5xbJ7
21. 'Popliteal space' - a lozenge-shaped space at the back of the knee jointhttps://t.co/NckE7jSPzG
22. 'Coquecigrue' - an imaginary creature regarded as an embodiment of absolute absurdityhttps://t.co/1Es79yiQUz
23. 'Hellbender' - one that is exceedingly reckless or otherwise extremehttps://t.co/rGOSubZqnV
24. 'Crowkeeper' - a person employed to scare off crows https://t.co/5fqDzpVWEJ
25. 'Ensorcell' - to bewitch or enchanthttps://t.co/wdXuljkcU0
26. 'Amphisbaena' - a mythological two-headed snake https://t.co/R06lH9nHqc
*almost glances up at notifications tab* pic.twitter.com/x6GDHzpoH9
27. 'Gasser' - something outstanding https://t.co/Z0QJkGElR7
28. 'Nerts' - nonsense, nuts - often used interjectionally https://t.co/n2dAYuMBLk
29. 'Encomia' - glowing and warmly enthusiastic praisehttps://t.co/HnYRi6svHk
30. 'Requiem' - a solemn chant (such as a dirge) for the repose of the deadhttps://t.co/lDYcvinFnn
32. 'Phobophobia' - an excessive fear of acquiring a phobiahttps://t.co/VYzv4aJtnZ
33. 'Collieshangie' - squabble, brawl, uproar https://t.co/WXrRIvbrTV
34. 'Syntropic' - repeated symmetrically without being reversed, as are ribs of one sidehttps://t.co/rgunMuMUdJ
35. 'Malversation' - misbehavior and especially corruption in an office, trust, or commissionhttps://t.co/eogkZTNXvM
(Pocketing this one for tomorrow...)
37. 'Humdudgeon' - an imaginary illness https://t.co/IZ1cetVmk0
38. 'Octothorpe' - the symbol #https://t.co/72KStWsDIC
40. 'Syrinx' - the vocal organ of birdshttps://t.co/We0W1StqLg
41. 'Contraremonstrance' - a remonstrance to a remonstrancehttps://t.co/zzDIYpuUuW
42. 'Drug ice' - soft ice that slows up the stone in curlinghttps://t.co/tAVeMMlL2p
43. 'Pandiculation' - stretching while yawninghttps://t.co/wR3QfKyHZR
How you folks doing?
44. 'Threshold' - the point at which a physiological or psychological effect begins to be producedhttps://t.co/6Liev41xnN
45. 'Cockalorum' - a boastful and self-important person; a strutting little fellow https://t.co/RzOEH2QzOV
46. 'Toadstone' - a stone or similar object held to have formed in the head or body of a toad and formerly often worn as a charm or antidote to poisonhttps://t.co/tNuWErEVe7
47. 'Saltimbanco' - a person who sells quack medicines from a platformhttps://t.co/HeuJy1YvET
48. 'Guatambu' - a Brazilian timber tree (Aspidosperma tomentosa)https://t.co/utw6dRBQQl
49. 'Inhesion' - the condition of being inherent in something https://t.co/EqxIDifWYu
50. 'Sisyphean' - of, relating to, or suggestive of the labors of Sisyphus https://t.co/sgCMDXM9Wz
51. 'Pettifogger' - a lawyer whose methods are petty, underhanded, or disreputable https://t.co/oUQVbntIQW